Diversity Commitment Statement
At the Graduate School we embrace the University of Connecticut’s support of a diverse and inclusive environment. We are committed to creating and cultivating a graduate and post-doctoral community that values and respects individuals, regardless of age, race, sexual orientation, gender, nationality, cultural background, religion or beliefs.
Link to the University of Connecticut Mission Statement: http://boardoftrustees.uconn.edu/university-mission-statement/
We believe that the concept of diversity is not about tolerance alone, but about moving forward to embrace and celebrate our differences through understanding, acceptance, respect and cultural competence as well. To truly create a rich academic, cultural, and intellectual environment for the graduate and post-doctoral community, we realize that our focus must extend beyond representation to genuine dedication.
At the Graduate School, our commitment to diversity is displayed through initiatives that capitalize on the benefits of diversity in education, research, and service. These initiatives include, but are not limited to:
- Hosting professional development workshops
- Attending national conferences to actively recruit diverse student populations
- Coordinating and co-sponsoring cultural and social events that foster a sense of community
- Collaborating to prepare grant applications with the broader goal of enhancing the diversity of the graduate and post-doctoral community
- Recruiting and retaining the strongest candidates through competitive financial packages
The Graduate School also works closely with the Office of the Vice Provost for Diversity in addressing the needs of our graduate students. Information about the work sponsored by their office can be found at www.diversity.uconn.edu.