You have conducted hours of research, documented your progress, and listened to the guidance of your advisory committee. Now it is time to prepare your dissertation. Your advisory committee has familiarized you with the requirements for your field of study, and they will need to review your dissertation prior to your defense. Please prepare your dissertation according to the published Graduate School specifications listed below. The specifications and FAQs should be read through thoroughly. Should you have any questions, contact The Graduate School at (860) 486-3617 for assistance.
You and your advisory committee determine the date when you are ready to defend your dissertation. As you prepare for the oral defense of your dissertation, please follow these instructions:
- Announce your oral defense in the University Events Calendar at least two weeks before the date of your defense. Be sure to follow the posting guidelines below. Announcements submitted that do not follow the posting guidelines will be rejected. If there are difficulties encountered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the problem.
- Click on the Submit Event button in the bottom right corner.
- Fill in the following boxes on the screen as indicated below:
- Title --> Enter Doctoral Dissertation Oral Defense of (Dissertator's Name).
- Location --> Select the campus (i.e., Storrs, Health Center, or Avery Point) where your oral defense will be held from the drop down menu.
- Building Name --> Enter the name of the building where your oral defense will be held.
- Room Number --> Enter the room number where your oral defense will be held.
- Date --> Click on the corresponding box and select the date from the pop-up calendar.
- Start Time -- > Click on the first time box and select your start time from the drop down menu.
- End Time --> Click on the second time box and select your end time from the drop down menu.
- Description --> Enter the title of your dissertation here. Be sure to indicate your doctoral field of study.
- Contact Person --> Enter the name of your Major Advisor, followed by their UConn e-mail address, separated by a comma.
- Primary--> Select the Graduate School - Theses and Dissertation Defense option from the drop down menu.
- Crosslist --> Verify that only the UConn Master Calendar is selected here.
- Click on the Submit Event button to submit your announcement.