Please see the positions listed below. Click on the job you are interested in to reveal more details:
UCONN- DEPARTMENT OF STUDENT ACTIVITIES
COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROGRAMS, SERVICES AND INITIATIVES
2018-2019 GRADUATE ASSISTANT POSITION
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Associate Director for Community Outreach, the Community Outreach Graduate Assistant (GA) is responsible for supporting the oversight of specific one time service projects, assessment projects for Community Outreach and supporting the student leader selection process. Through this position, the GA will be responsible for community partner development, supporting student organization activities related to one-time service projects, organizing special events; and providing administrative support to service and leadership initiatives as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Plan, implement, manage, and evaluate community service activities including all related budgeting, scheduling, marketing; assuming greater direct responsibility until student leaders, volunteers, and workers become proficient in programming and organizational skills.
2. Advise/mentor identified students utilizing individual and group strategies; provide intensive support to an assigned group of students, student organizations and learning communities; hold regular office hours, being accessible to students as needed for program management.
3. Provide advisement to student groups; set individual and group performance standards; manage workflow; evaluate individual and group performance; and provide regular oversight and feedback.
4. Support the development, implementation and assessment of the student leader selection process in the fall and spring. Including working with staff and student leaders and supporting the logistics planning.
5. Assist in the development of CO wide initiatives including, but not limited to; assessment projects, student recognition programs, special events such as recruitment fairs and service related speaker series.
6. Supervise and advise designated student leaders/workers; set individual and group performance standards; manage team workflow; evaluate individual and group performance; and provide regular oversight and feedback.
7. Staff at least one CO weekend or weeklong Alternative Break & Immersion trip; provide advisement to student leader; assist with student supervision; facilitation of reflection activities; actively participate in group service projects. Specific trip will be determined.
8. Participate regularly in relevant staff meetings and trainings.
9. Complete other duties as required including, but not limited to, office and department committees.
Commitment: 20 hours per week; schedule will vary based on student’s availability and programmatic needs. Weekend and evening hours are required in order to attend related events; availability to work during the summer is strongly preferred.
Qualifications: Strong written and verbal communication; demonstrated supervisory or advisory experience; excellent interpersonal skills; strong leadership, organizational and programming skills; demonstrated commitment to or experience with community service and/or service-learning; related professional experience preferred; demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office or equivalent software programs; and must be enrolled in related graduate program at UConn.
Preferred Qualifications: 1+ years’ experience supervising college students; 1+ years’ experience with events coordination and event management; experience with non-profits strongly preferred.
Application Process: Interested candidates should send: (a) letter of interest, (b) resume/CV, and (c) names and contact information for three professional references to: Gina DeVivo Brassaw; 2110 Hillside Road - Unit 3008, Storrs, CT 06269-3008 or email@example.com. Electronic applications are preferred. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will commence immediately. UCONN strongly encourages applications from people of color, women and people with disabilities.