International Applicant FAQs

All applications for graduate study at UConn must be submitted using our online application system. All newly admitted students for Spring 2019 must accept admission by December 21st, 2018. All newly admitted students for Fall 2019 must accept admission by July 26th, 2019.

Is there a deadline to apply?

International students who require a U.S. Student visa sponsored by the University of Connecticut are required to have all materials submitted to the International Students and Scholar Services (ISSS) office 1 month prior to the start of classes, to ensure proper I-20/DS-2019 processing time.

International applicant checklist:

View Checklist

International Students and Scholar Services Office:

What scores do you require on the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE?

The Graduate School accepts the following scores as proof of English proficiency:

  1. Receiving minimum scores of 79 (Internet-based test – iBT), 550 ( Old Paper-based test – PBT) or 22/30 on each of the Listening, Reading, and Writing sections (“New” Paper-based test- PBT) or higher on the TOEFL test.
  2. Receiving a minimum score of 6.5 or higher on the IELTS test.
  3. Receiving a minimum score of 53 or higher on the PTE test, or
  4. Qualifying for a Score Waiver.pdf (please click on link to review policy).

Please note we do not accept TOEFL Institutional Testing Program (TOEFL ITP) results, unless they are from UConn.

  • Please note TOEFL scores will only be accepted when sent electronically through ETS. Use the codes listed below:
    • The TOEFL code for UConn Storrs is 3915.
    • The TOEFL code for the UConn Health Center is 3931.
  • IELTS and PTE test scores will be accepted either by post or a scanned copy may be emailed to

International Teaching Assistant Services

If you are not a native speaker of English, and you plan to obtain a teaching assistantship, you must satisfy UConn’s English Proficiency Policy before being allowed to instruct a class.  For more information, please contact International Teaching Assistant Services.

How can I have my TOEFL scores waived?

TOEFL scores may be waived for a few acceptable reasons which are listed below:

Policy on Waiver of Language Proficiency Examinations

When will my I-20/DS-2019 be ready?

Once you have submitted ALL required materials, including all original transcripts, degree certificates/ diplomas, we will be able to matriculate you. Please keep in mind; we will not matriculate you without these materials. If you are missing any materials for matriculation at the time of admittance, the Graduate School will contact you, and specify which materials we are waiting for.

To initiate the creation of an I-20/DS-2019 document, students must first accept enrollment in their application and then submit an I-20/DS-2019 request form by using the link provided to them in their online admission letter.  The I-20/DS-2019 document and final matriculation materials will not be released from The Graduate School to a student until matriculation takes place. Please remember the matriculation step requires that all required documents (INCLUDING all original transcripts, degree certificates/ diplomas) have been submitted to the Graduate School at the following address:

University of Connecticut
The Graduate School
438 Whitney Road Ext. U-1152
Storrs, CT 06269-1152 

How will I receive my I-20/DS-2019?

Please contact your department to check on the status of your matriculation. Once your I-20/DS-2019 is ready, most departments expedite these materials, including your matriculation packet from the Graduate School to you. Please contact your department for details about how these materials will be sent to you, and to confirm the correct mailing address.

What options do I have for financial support?

If you are not a U.S. Citizen, you cannot apply for need-based financial aid, however there are other options for funding, including Teaching Assistantships and Research Assistantships (found here) and our Jorgensen, Harriott, and Crandall Fellowships (found here).

What TOEFL or IELTS score do I need to qualify for a Teaching or Research Assistantship at the time of admittance?

These scores can change, so please contact the International Teaching Assistant Services office:

Currently as of Summer 2014, the requirements are listed here:

What are the housing options at your University if I attend?

The University is in the midst of an extraordinary period of growth and graduate housing is limited. Priority is given to newly admitted international graduate students. Housing applications must be submitted by July 1st to be considered. Single graduate student housing is offered in Northwood Apartments where two students share a two bedroom apartment which has a kitchen, small dining area, a living room, and a bathroom. The University does not have family housing available for students.  Please review your assistantship stipend, on-campus housing rates and other appropriate finances in making your decision to live on-campus.  When you make your final decision to live on campus, please be aware of the cancellation policy as outlined in the housing contract.  At the time that housing is accepted, you are responsible for payment for both semesters and the cancellation fee is 100% of those rates.


Off-Campus Student Services serves as an advocate and centralized resource for students commuting or living off-campus. If you have questions about communing, moving off-campus or relocating to the area please contact their office or check out the Off-Campus Student Services Housing Database at

The database offers available rental listings for Storrs, Mansfield and other surrounding communities.  The site also provides information related to roommate matching, carpooling and more. Please visit the Off-Campus Student Services website at to guide and assist you through all of your off-campus housing needs.

Off-Campus Student Services will also provide individual programming and consultation for graduate students residing on campus as they seek to transition off-campus.  The consolation and programming will focus on helping students identify a location for their rental, budgeting for off-campus living, amenities and transportation.  Times, dates and locations of these programs will be emailed to all on-campus graduate students.

Off-Campus Student Services developed a webinar for students seeking to relocate to the Storrs area:

The webinar has potential to be offered as live session or prerecorded that will run on our website.  Participants will gain a better understanding of the following:

  • How to Search for Off-Campus Housing
  • Off-Campus Student Resource Guide:
  • Commuter Appreciation Programs
  • Transportation Options
  • Reading and Understanding the legalities of a Lease
  • Resources available specifically for graduate, international and undergraduate students (as each webinar may differ)
  • Understanding the geographical locations of rentals surrounding UConn
  • Being a positive member of the Mansfield/UConn Community
  • Budgeting