Admissions Frequently Asked Questions

Please note:

For the Fall 2019 term the deadline to reply to an offer of admission in your online application is July 26th, 2019 unless an earlier deadline has been set by the admitting program.

For the Spring 2020 term the deadline to reply to an offer of admission in your online application is December 20th, 2019 unless an earlier deadline has been set by the admitting program.

When can I expect a decision regarding  my application?

Your application is available to the department at the time of submission. To find out when your application will be reviewed, contact the department to which you are applying.

Is there a deadline to apply?

The Graduate School recommends that students apply a minimum of 2 months before the first day of the semester. Please check with the program to which you are applying, to see if they have an earlier deadline.

International students who require a U.S. Student visa sponsored by the University of Connecticut are required to have all materials submitted to the International Students and Scholar Services (ISSS) office 1 month prior to the start of classes, to ensure proper I-20/DS-2019 processing time.

International Students and Scholar Services Office:

Are GRE scores required?

GRE scores are not a requirement of The Graduate School, but they could be a requirement for the program you are applying to. Please check with your department.

  • You should request that your standardized test scores be submitted to UConn if your program requires them.
  • Please note GRE scores will only be accepted when sent electronically through ETS. Use the codes listed below:
    • The GRE code for UConn Storrs is 3915.
    • The GRE code for the UConn Health Center is 3931.

Are letters of recommendation required?

Letters of recommendation are not a requirement of The Graduate School, but they could be a requirement for the program you are applying to.  Some programs may not accept paper copies of letters, and require your recommenders to submit their materials online to your application. Please check with your department.

My school code is not listed, what do I do?

Please double check that you have spelled your school name correctly. If you still cannot find the school, try entering less information into the search box. If you still cannot find the code- please e-mail with the full name of the school and the complete mailing address.

How do I apply to more than one program?

Applicants who wish to apply to more than one program are required to submit a separate application in Slate for each admission.

The application says my document is too large to upload, what do I do?

Please use the following website to shrink the document, and upload the document again:

If the document is still too large to upload, send a support request to

What are the housing options at your University if I attend?

The University is in the midst of an extraordinary period of growth and graduate housing is limited. Priority is given to newly admitted international graduate students. Housing applications must be submitted by July 1st to be considered. Single graduate student housing is offered in Northwood Apartments where two students share a two bedroom apartment which has a kitchen, small dining area, a living room, and a bathroom. The University does not have family housing available for students.  Please review your assistantship stipend, on-campus housing rates and other appropriate finances in making your decision to live on-campus.  When you make your final decision to live on campus, please be aware of the cancellation policy as outlined in the housing contract.  At the time that housing is accepted, you are responsible for payment for both semesters and the cancellation fee is 100% of those rates.


Off-Campus Student Services serves as an advocate and centralized resource for students commuting or living off-campus. If you have questions about communing, moving off-campus or relocating to the area please contact their office or check out the Off-Campus Student Services Housing Database at

The database offers available rental listings for Storrs, Mansfield and other surrounding communities.  The site also provides information related to roommate matching, carpooling and more. Please visit the Off-Campus Student Services website at to guide and assist you through all of your off-campus housing needs.

Off-Campus Student Services will also provide individual programming and consultation for graduate students residing on campus as they seek to transition off-campus.  The consolation and programming will focus on helping students identify a location for their rental, budgeting for off-campus living, amenities and transportation.  Times, dates and locations of these programs will be emailed to all on-campus graduate students.

Off-Campus Student Services developed a webinar for students seeking to relocate to the Storrs area:

The webinar has potential to be offered as live session or prerecorded that will run on our website.  Participants will gain a better understanding of the following:

  • How to Search for Off-Campus Housing
  • Off-Campus Student Resource Guide:
  • Commuter Appreciation Programs
  • Transportation Options
  • Reading and Understanding the legalities of a Lease
  • Resources available specifically for graduate, international and undergraduate students (as each webinar may differ)
  • Understanding the geographical locations of rentals surrounding UConn
  • Being a positive member of the Mansfield/UConn Community
  • Budgeting

Especially For International Applicants

What scores do you require on the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE?

The Graduate School accepts the following scores as proof of English proficiency:

  1. Receiving minimum overall scores of 79 (Internet-based test - iBT), 550 ( Old Paper-based test - PBT) or 22/30 on each of the Listening, Reading, and Writing sections (“New” Paper-based test- PBT) or higher on the TOEFL test.
  2. Receiving a minimum overall score of 6.5 or higher on the IELTS test.
  3. Receiving a minimum overall score of 53 or higher on the PTE test, or
  4. Qualifying for a Score Waiver.pdf (please click on link to review policy).

Please note we do not accept TOEFL Institutional Testing Program (TOEFL ITP) results, unless they are from UConn.

  • Please note TOEFL scores will only be accepted when sent electronically through ETS. Use the codes listed below:
    • The TOEFL code for UConn Storrs is 3915.
    • The TOEFL code for the UConn Health Center is 3931.
    • IELTS and PTE test scores are required to be sent to our University electronically directly by the testing company used in order for scores to be accepted as official.
    • TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE scores are only valid for two years (from original test date to submission of UConn application).

International Teaching Assistant Services

If you are not a native speaker of English, and you plan to obtain a teaching assistantship, you must satisfy UConn’s English Proficiency Policy before being allowed to instruct a class.  For more information, please contact International Teaching Assistant Services.

How can I have my TOEFL scores waived?

TOEFL scores may be waived for a few acceptable reasons which are listed below:

Policy on Waiver of Language Proficiency Examinations

When will my I-20/DS-2019 be ready?

Once you have submitted ALL required materials, including all original transcripts, degree certificates/ diplomas, we will be able to matriculate you. Please keep in mind; we will not matriculate you without these materials. If you are missing any materials for matriculation at the time of admittance, The Graduate School will contact you, and specify which materials we are waiting for. The Graduate School will accept Chinese transcripts that are verified by either CHESICC (China Higher Education Students Information and Career Center), or CDGDC (China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center).

To initiate the creation of an I-20/DS-2019 document, students must first accept enrollment in their application and then submit an I-20/DS-2019 request form by using the link provided to them in their online admission letter.  The I-20/DS-2019 document and final matriculation materials will not be released from The Graduate School to a student until matriculation takes place. Please remember the matriculation step requires that all required documents (INCLUDING all original transcripts, degree certificates/ diplomas) have been submitted to the Graduate School at the following address:

University of Connecticut
The Graduate School
438 Whitney Road Ext. U-1152
Storrs, CT 06269-1152 

How will I receive my I-20/DS-2019?

Please contact your department to check on the status of your matriculation. Once your I-20/DS-2019 is ready, most departments expedite these materials, including your matriculation packet from the Graduate School to you. Please contact your department for details about how these materials will be sent to you, and to confirm the correct mailing address.

What options do I have for financial support?

If you are not a U.S. Citizen, you cannot apply for need based financial aid, however there are other options for funding- such as Teaching Assistantships and Research Assistantships.  Please visit the link below for more information about these options, and contact the program you are applying  to, to ask if these opportunities are available in the department.

What TOEFL or IELTS score do I need to qualify for a Teaching or Research Assistantship at the time of admittance?

These scores can change, so please contact the International Teaching Assistant Services office:

Currently as of Summer 2014, the requirements are listed here: