Graduate students may need to step away from their academic studies or GA employment at some point during their graduate career. The information provided below can help guide students toward the best option for their circumstances. Please feel free to reach out to The Graduate School (Megan Petsa at email@example.com) with any questions.
Click here to view a list of department/program heads and department admins/grad payroll processors. The name of your major advisor can be found in your Student Center in Student Admin.
Completing the Voluntary Separation Notification Form
The process of separating from the university involves multiple phases. (View a flowchart of this process here.)
- In the first phase, the student provides information about their current enrollment and the type of separation they are considering. The student should be prepared to provide the name of their advisor, department/program head, and department admin/grad payroll processor on the form. A list of department/program heads and department admins/grad payroll processors can be found here. Students can view the name of their advisor in their Student Center in Student Admin. The form is then sent to The Graduate School.
- A representative from The Graduate School will contact the student to provide consumer counseling, which includes the financial and academic implications of withdrawing from the semester and the process to return to the program. The form is then returned to the student via email so the student can make an informed decision about whether or not to cancel enrollment or withdraw from the semester.
- The student must make a decision on the form to either stay enrolled or move forward with separation. This is the date of notification of the intent to withdraw, which will be used to calculate eligibility for the university refund schedule. If a response if not received from the student within 10 business days, the separation will not be finalized and the student will remain active in the program. If a response is not received within 10 business days, the request for a voluntary separation will be canceled. Should the student then decide to voluntarily separate, the student will need to start a new request which will then determine eligibility for the university refund schedule.
- After the student has a made a decision to either separate or remain enrolled, the form is either returned directly to The Graduate School for final processing or, in the case of academic leave of absence requests, routed to the major advisor and department head for approval before being sent to The Graduate School for final processing.
- To return to their program from an academic Leave of Absence, students will need to follow the reinstatement procedures outlined in The Graduate Catalog to request reinstatement prior to the semester in which they wish to resume study. More information on this process can be found below.