**All travel funds for Spring 2017 have been allocated. Please check back in June for the Fall 2017 application which can be used to apply for travel between July 1 and Dec. 31, 2017.**
Doctoral Student Travel (DST) Funding Guidelines
The Graduate School’s Doctoral Student Travel (DST) funds are available to support doctoral students’ travel to domestic or international professional societies directly associated with a doctoral student’s research.
There are two (2) DST competitions during an academic year:
- Fall travel is from July 1 and December 31.
- Spring travel is from January 1 and June 30.
Since these funds are limited, and awards are not guaranteed, doctoral students are encouraged to request funding as soon as they know they will attend a conference or professional workshop.
Please note: Students may receive funds one time only during their academic career.
DST Purpose: DST funds are specifically to support travel for doctoral students who are “actively participating” in domestic or international meetings of professional societies.
Funding Categories/Active Participation: In conjunction with a conference, symposia, seminar, colloquia or workshop (this category is in support of and not attendance to), the student must:
- Present a research paper or poster session; or
- Be a chairman of a research session; or
- Participate in the role of the discussant (for full presentation papers) on a symposium panel; or
- Participate in a gallery opening, solo, choral, orchestral, musical, and dance performances.
DST Eligibility: To be eligible for the funding, an applicant must:
- Certify that he/she has received travel approval by his/her program of study as indicated by their signatures on the form
- Certify that he/she is a doctoral student
- Certify that he/she has successfully completed at least 30 credits towards his/her degree program (a minimum of 15 credits have to be on the Doctoral Plan of Study)
- Certify that funds will be used only for travel to meetings for which he/she is presenting his/her research
- Certify that he/she has not received a prior DST award (in any amount).
DST Award Amounts:
- Fiscal Year Allocation (July 1 – June 30) provides financial support of up to $750 for doctoral students across all disciplines, on a competitive basis.
- Qualifying award amounts for “active participation” will first be drawn on DST funds and any qualifying amounts exceeding the maximum amount of $750 will then be the responsibility of the student.
- Any unused funds will not be available for future use.
- Funds awarded and not expended will be returned to the DST pool unless an extension is granted. Requests for extensions must be made in writing.
DST Important Information:
- Funds are subject to the same campus-wide travel rules that are applied to faculty and staff;
- Funds for travel must be utilized during the requested fiscal period (July 1 to December 31; January 1 to June 30) in order to facilitate timely processing;
- Request for reimbursement of expenses must be submitted within six (6) weeks of completion of the travel;
- Approvals related to travel must be sought and granted BEFORE any travel commences and will NOT be granted retroactively under any circumstances;
- Travel awards are for reimbursement purposes only. They are not designed to be used for making travel arrangements;
- Applications for retroactive trips will not be processed. There are no exceptions.
- To make adjustments to the award letter prior to travel, forward the original award letter to The Graduate School noting changes to be made.
- Students based at UConn Health are not eligible for this award.
- Once the application is completed and signed by the student, student’s advisor and department head or his/her designee, the application should be returned to The Graduate School by e-mail (email@example.com) or in person at The Whetten Graduate Center, second floor, no later than six (6) weeks before the travel will occur. The application will then be reviewed and a decision will be emailed to the student’s department/program graduate coordinator.
To access the application please: