What is the 3MT® Three Minute Thesis?
Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) celebrates the exciting research conducted by Doctoral students around the world. Developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), the competition cultivates students’ academic, presentation, and research communication skills. Presenting in a 3MT® competition increases your capacity to effectively explain your research in three minutes, in a language appropriate to an intelligent non-specialist audience.
For 2022, UConn’s 3MT competition has two main components:
- Doctoral students should submit a draft video of their presentation by July 31 for consideration to be selected as a finalist.
- Finalists will be selected and invited to present their presentation live on Monday, August 22 12:00-1:30 (EST) where a panel of judges will decide on who will advance to the national and international 3MT competitions.
UConn’s 2022 Competition Checklist for Presenters
To keep up with the latest information and to register for the 2022 competition, complete this form.
Learn More About the Competition
Watch our fifteen-minute virtual info-session, recorded on Thursday, June 2, to learn more about:
- Why to take part in UConn’s competition
- What makes a good 3MT presentation
- How to create and submit your draft submission video in Flipgrid
Prepare for the Competition
Attend a virtual workshop:
“How to Shape Your Research for a 3MT Presentation”
View the webinar here
In this 30-minute virtual webinar, we discussed:
- How to create a narrative story from your research
- Ways to show the impact of your research to a general academic audience
“Preparing for the Best Three Minute Presentation of Your Life”
Learn how to transform your research into a succinct and compelling presentation. The workshop, led by Dr. Rory McGloin, will focus on using narrative story techniques to help organize and highlight the most engaging elements of your research designed to help prepare you to present your 3MT presentation on.
Record and Submit Your Presentation
Submissions have been received. Thank you to all who have participated this year.
Attend a 3MT Prep Session (For Finalists)
The Graduate School will be hosting one-on-one appointments for Finalists to do a test run of their presentations.
Monday, August 8 through Wednesday, August 17
UConn’s 3MT Finals
Whether or not you are a finalist, come and join us to hear a wonderful variety of 3MT presentations and to see who UConn will be advancing to the NAGS North-American 3MT competition and U21 World-wide 3MT competition.
Monday, August 22nd