Newly Admitted Students

The University of Connecticut Graduate School

Information for Newly Entering Graduate Students


Welcome to the University of Connecticut. We wish you the greatest success as you begin your new graduate career. With your admission to one of our degree programs, post baccalaureate or certificate programs you may register as a graduate student at the main (Storrs) campus and other locations. If you cannot begin your graduate career in your admitted term, contact your department and request a deferral.  If the department approves your deferral they should notify the Graduate School so we can keep your records in place and change your starting term.

UConn has implemented an on-line student registration system. If you are registering for courses on the Storrs campus, please follow the directions below. The programs conducted at locations other than Storrs (including the off-campus MBA programs and the Master of Social Work program) may have separate practices.  For students in online programs, contact the department for registration instructions.

For campus based programs, you should plan to arrive no later than the weekend prior to the start of classes. You may be required to arrive earlier if you hold a graduate assistantship or if you are an international student. Before you arrive, please contact the office of the graduate program to which you have been admitted and arrange to meet with your advisor. The most up-to-date Schedule of Classes (both graduate and undergraduate) will be available on-line at the Student Administration System site ( to help you decide what to take.

Registration Instructions

Once you have selected your classes, you may register on-line according to the following procedure:

1)     Your UConn NetID and Activation Code were emailed to you at the time of admission. Once you activate your NetID and set the password, you can log in to the Student Administration System you need assistance with your NetID, please contact the UITS Help Center (860) 486-4357 or email

2)     Be sure to fill out the Student Health History Form (website:, which is mandatory, and return it to Student Health Services at the address listed on the form. Students in Clinical Training Programs (Nursing, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Speech Therapy, Psychology, Social Work and Allied Health Sciences) have advanced medical and immunization requirements that will be outlined in your Letter of Acceptance from your individual program. Distance Learners with all courses online or students participating in UCAPP do not need to meet the immunization requirements.  It is each student’s responsibility to notify Student Health Services on an annual basis if that is the case.  The University of Connecticut requires all incoming students, regardless of age, to complete a Tuberculosis Risk Questionnaire (as found on the Mandatory Health History Form) to provide documentation of TB risk.  While this is only a requirement for Storrs Campus (non-clinical training) students, we strongly recommend completion by regional campus students in order to facilitate a future transfer to Storrs.

  • If the system prevents you from registering, you must clear up whatever problem is still pending. To clear a financial service hold, call the Bursar’s Office at (860) 486-4830. To clear a health insurance hold or an immunization hold, call Student Health Services at (860) 486-4700. All new students are required to complete an interpersonal violence training at prior to registration. If you are having other difficulties, call the Graduate School at (860) 486-3617 or email us at All offices are open between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Eastern time, Monday through Friday.
  • Important Payment Information: All fees are collected by the Office of the University Bursar in the Wilbur Cross Building. Fees pertaining to off-campus programs in social work and business administration are payable at those locations.  Students will receive notification from the Office of the University Bursar by email once fees have been billed.  Fees are billed soon after registration (July-August for the fall semester and December-January for spring semester) and can be viewed through the Student Administration System site ( ).

These bills, covering the semester’s charges payable in advance, must be paid by the first day of the semester.  Failure to make payment on time will result in a service and enrollment restricting hold being placed on your record and late fees of $6.00/day up to $60.00.

Other Important Items

Housing information for newly admitted students can be found at:   (On-campus housing)

or (Off-campus housing)

To update your mailing address, log in to the Student Administration website (as you did for registration)  Navigate to SA Self-service, Student Center, Personal Information, Addresses where you can update your mailing address.

University Email  is sent to your official UConn e-mail address. We encourage you to use this account.  If you don’t plan to use the campus email service, it is very important that you forward your University Email to your active email address.  Here’s how:  Go to, click on the Student box and follow the directions given. To find your Net ID you can go to or call the UITS Help Center at 860-486-4357.

I.D. Pictures are taken in the One Card Office, Wilbur Cross Building, 2nd Floor. You can apply for an ID the month that your program begins (i.e. August for Fall and January for Spring). You must present a driver’s license or other picture ID to be photographed. Also, it might be helpful to bring your official letter of admission from the Graduate School.  The hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Parking Permits may be obtained from the Parking and Transportation Services Office in the Central Warehouse Building, phone (860) 486-4930 or  Please be aware of the parking regulations, which are strictly enforced year-round.

Information Sources

In accepting admission, you assume responsibility for knowing and complying with the University regulations and procedures. The Graduate School Catalog contains more than you ever wanted to know about regulations and procedures, program and course descriptions, and the calendar of the Graduate School. It is available electronically at

The Graduate School’s website is an essential resource for information for current students and includes a page of all the forms associated with graduate education at the University of Connecticut.  Please be sure to familiarize yourself with our website:

Summer Session and Intersession course offerings can be viewed at

The General Catalog and Undergraduate Announcement describes advanced undergraduate courses that sometimes can be applied toward a graduate degree. It is available electronically at