While GAs are Currently Here

Special Payroll

GAs may be appointed to extra-compensatory assignments that occur outside the normal academic year, such as during the summer months or winter or May intersessions. These are separate from Fall or Spring semester appointments and are processed in PageUp to be paid on Special Payroll. Graduate students who are eligible to hold a GA may not be paid on Special Payroll during the academic year, unless the appointment is a GA Overload through Supplemental Employment. Graduate students and Special Payroll has been featured as a Timely Topics session and more resources may be available here.

Supplemental Employment

Supplemental Employment is used to describe when a Graduate Assistantship has additional employment. The online form can be found here, and directions for completing it can be found here. This form ensures the advisor is aware of the additional employment commitment their advisee is taking on.

When is a Supplemental Employment Approval form needed?

  • When a domestic GA will be employed by UConn more than 20 hours per week during either the Fall or Spring semester

When an international GA who is currently employed at less than 20 hours per week will be employed by UConn in an additional student labor position that will bring their total hours per week to no more than 20 during the academic semester

  • Requests are for a maximum of one semester. For requests that span more than one semester, a separate request should be submitted for each one.

When it is NOT necessary to complete a Supplemental Employment Approval form?

  • If a GA who is currently employed at less than 20 hours per week is being increased to no more than 20 hours per week (e.g., if a GA is employed at 15 hours per week (75%) and is being increased to 20 hours per week (100%)). This can be done through CORE and is not considered supplemental employment because it does not exceed the 20 hour maximum.
  • During summer and winter breaks. When classes are not in session, both domestic and international students may devote their full-time efforts to employment.

What is GA overload?

  • GA overload refers to instances where a GA’s current appointment needs to be increased beyond 20 hours per week.
  • GA overloads are paid via Special Payroll using the title “Graduate Overload Teaching or Graduate Overload Research.” A dual employment form and a copy of the approved Supplemental Employment Form should be uploaded with the PageUp request for Grad Overload Teaching along with the offer letter template, "GA Overload Confirmation Letter."
  • Special Payroll appointments for GA Overload are required to be teaching or research. Administrative or other roles should be placed on student labor.
  • If you have questions about whether or not a position is student labor or GA work, please reach out to The Graduate School for assistance.

Is a Supplemental Employment Approval form required for work outside of the university?

  • No, however, per The Graduate Catalog, GAs divide their full-time efforts between study and assistantship responsibilities, and as a result, they may not hold concurrent employment outside the University without the written consent of their major advisor.

Stipend Level Increases

A Graduate Assistant in a doctoral program may be eligible for a stipend level increase when they meet certain academic milestones (see above, "Stipend Rates"). Stipend level increases are not automatic; the department payroll processor must submit a new payroll transaction to increase the GA's stipend level after the milestone has been met and is reflected on the GA's academic record.

  • Per Article 21, Section 5 of the Graduate Assistant (GEU) Contract: “A GA shall be appointed to the highest stipend level for which he or she is eligible based on degree standing at the start of the individual’s appointment as a GA….If a GA becomes eligible for a higher level during an appointment, the higher stipend level shall become effective no later than the start of the next semester.”
  • If the department typically processes mid-semester increases, the Graduate Assistants Pay/Level Change template (UC_TBH_DC_GA_PAY) can be used. (This template should not be used during the hiring or renewal process for GAs.)
  • If the department does not typically process mid-semester increases, the GA did submit their General Exam Report within 30 days of the exam, or the GA met the milestone during the summer, the increase should go into effect no later than the start of the next semester's appointment. A separate Graduate Assistants Pay/Level Change transaction is not needed for GAs in this scenario since the templates used to hire, continue, or renew a GA will automatically pull in the updated level eligibility.
  • The Graduate School sends out monthly notifications to the academic home departments of GAs who recently submitted a passing Report on the General Examination for the Doctoral Degree so the department payroll processor may take action if needed.
  • The Graduate School sends out a list during the Fall semester of GAs in doctoral programs currently being paid at Level 1 who are anticipated to be eligible for an increase to Level 2 for the Spring semester. To achieve Level 2 as anticipated, the GA must have passing grades submitted for all enrolled courses. The GA's actual eligibility will feed over to Core-CT after the Fall semester's grades have been submitted and a pay level increase transaction can be submitted in Core-CT after that happens (estimated around late December).

GA Leave and Academic Leave

Graduate students may need to step away from their academic studies or GA employment at some point during their graduate career. Detailed information on both GA leave and academic leave can be found on The Graduate School's Voluntary Separations page